Saturday, February 16, 2013

Week 6: I Came... I Saw...Now what?

Over the past five weeks I was introduced to many different technology tools to use in the classroom. From smart boards to stop motion movies, the possibilities are truly limitless. Yet as educators using digital technology can appear idealistic and overwhelming. Many teachers are left asking where do I even start? Additionally, many schools are debating what type of IT they should bother investing in, especially when technology is constantly upgrading.

I recently read a blog post featured on the educational website Edutopia called Bridging the New Digital Divide. (http://www.edutopia.org/blog/bridging-the-new-digital-divide-lori-day) Educational psychologist and blogger Lori Day follows an inner city school in Rhode Island, who is tackling the digital schism of offering technology in a low-income neighborhood. Many schools both independent and public alike, need to consider the financial cost of going beyond installing Wi-Fi in the classroom. Schools should also provide educator's with technology training  in order to best serve their students. Technology shouldn't just sit in the corner of the classroom, nor should it only be used for entertainment or 'free time' value. Students should actively and critically use it to its fullest capacity. Designing videos, creating digital presentations, adding to  e-portfolios and communicating with other schools across the world, are just some ways students can use technology as a resource to  create and optimize their learning. The blog  mentioned above as published in edutopia,  concludes with the sentiment that technology is not the solution, but rather a tool used towards the betterment of learning. Striking a balance between the "digital" world such as logging on to a virtual tour and the "authentic" world of visiting a real museums is the most effective approach when incorporating technology in the classroom. It is the teacher's duty to help bridge the digital divide between the virtual and real world.

Learning more about digital education and its role in differentiating instruction has allowed me to think outside the box, to see how it can be used both effectively and creatively in the classroom. Keeping current and informed about technology, knowing what schools have to offer, and advocating for what should be offered are ways in which I anticipate keeping tech savvy in the class(y).
"I came...I saw...I blogged!"


 


God sees where you can be



1 comment:

  1. I think you are so right Michelle - we do need to strike a balance between the digital and real world. As amazing as it is to be able to see things online, there is something really valuable about experiencing them in a real, hands-on way. Before I went to France, I was able to go online and look at maps/view images of places I would be going. I also got to communicate via email with some people from France. However, it wasn't until I actually got there and was immersed in the French way of life that I truly understood the French language and culture.

    ReplyDelete